T3 Community Discussion & Support

Let's build the best free Joomla template framework, together!
  1. Job Johnson
  2. General Discussion
  3. Wednesday, 05 June 2013
  4.  Subscribe via email
I would like to know how you can remove the favicon from the Head of T3 Framework.
reason i am asking is so that i can replace the favicon.ico with a .png file.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Job Johnson,

To change your site favicon, please follow the instruction below: http://docs.joomla.org/Changing_the_site_favicon
We suggest you to use .ico file as it is the default of Joomla. You can convert your .png file to .ico file. When you have this file, just override the favicon.ico file in folder: templates\t3_blank with your new favicon file.

Good luck.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Hi, I have a similar problem. I did what you suggested "just override the favicon.ico file in folder: templates\t3_blank with your new favicon file." but every T3 update overrides this file. I dont think this is the way an update should work. Is this a bug?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Yeah I agree we need a way to override or change the location of the default template favicon as each updates overwrites any custom ones which we have added.

Either if we could adjust the location somewhere like inside head.php or even if it could be specified within the template parameters somewhere.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Dude & Simon Logan - I asked for exactly the same thing six months ago :)

http://www.t3-framework.org/discussions/is-there-really-a-need-for-template-updates-to-overwrite-existing-favicons.html

The easiest thing would be NOT to include the favicon in any Template updates.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Hi all,

Yeah, the suggested file could be overridden when you upgrade but you can use "local" folder where all the files here will not be affected when upgrading, you can check out more info at: http://www.t3-framework.org/documentation/new-features#isolate-template. Hope the info helps you.

Regards.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
Hello Gardner,

The 'local' folder option - I did try this earlier and it didn't work for me at all. May be others had have some luck with this.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
Hi again,

So our suggestion is using the custom.css file, copy the favicon style to the custom.css file. The style in the custom.css file has higher priority than the .less file, in addition, this is user's custom file so its not included in the template by default so when you upgrade, the file is not affected.

Regards.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
Hello Gardner,

I don't think it is possible to add a reference to the favicon file through css.

The only other thing I can think of is edit the head.php in tpls/blocks, add a reference to the favicon there, and save the php file in local/tmpls/blocks.

Of course you will need to and place the favicon in the local directory and the reference should be to that file in the php file.

I added the code just after PHP block for custom.css, like this:

<?php
// CUSTOM CSS
if (is_file(T3_TEMPLATE_PATH . '/css/custom.css')) {
$this->addStyleSheet(T3_TEMPLATE_URL . '/css/custom.css');
}
?>
<link type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon" rel="shortcut icon" href="/templates/t3_bs3_blank/local/favicon.ico">

This works, but the favicon gets called twice on the template.

Is there a better way?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 8
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.