We moved to new unified forum!

Please post all new support queries in our New Forum.

T3 Community Discussion & Support

Let's build the best free Joomla template framework, together!
  1. DavidMc
  2. General Discussion
  3. Tuesday, 17 September 2013
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hello! Congratulations! T3 is by far the best joomla framework out there! But, as with most frameworks it is hard to figure out how you will upgrade. In the past I have built complicated sites just to have everything broken on upgrade, joomla as well as template framework upgrades.

1) I get CSS. My changes can be put in custom.css and not be overwritten on Joomla as well as T3 upgrade. What about custom changes to variables.less and custom themes from thememagic, and custom bootstrap js
2) How will T3 deal with bootstrap/js/css/jQuery versions and joomla media/jui core versions?
3) For example: What is the best procedure to add a bootstrap(BT) lightbox.js and lightbox.css. I call them via simple html markup data-toggle in a custom HTML module. Where do I put the js and css so they will not be broken on upgrade?

I have viewed all the videos. Your documentation is pretty good but I think this discussion deserves either an advanced video on your architecture or a detailed PDF on making custom changes.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Is it safe to say that this issue is resolved?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # Permalink
Votes
Undo
Hi DavidMc,

T3 has two parts: the plugin and t3 blank.
If you upgrade the plugin, it will be fine.
T3 Blank is a starter template, if you customize on it, you should not update it. Though, it would be good if you can compare and update any change log for T3 Blank.

1) I get CSS. My changes can be put in custom.css and not be overwritten on Joomla as well as T3 upgrade. What about custom changes to variables.less and custom themes from thememagic, and custom bootstrap js

Custom.css is a good way to customize your template. And yes, you can create a custom theme (your own or via thememagic), overwrite variable.less there and it will be fine.
I am not not sure about custom bootstrap.js, You can create any script file (with another name and included in your template in header or assets.xml)

2) How will T3 deal with bootstrap/js/css/jQuery versions and joomla media/jui core versions?
T3 use it own version of Bootstrap and ignore jui version.

3) For example: What is the best procedure to add a bootstrap(BT) lightbox.js and lightbox.css. I call them via simple html markup data-toggle in a custom HTML module. Where do I put the js and css so they will not be broken on upgrade?
The best way to inlcuded js and css is declare it in assets.xml file.
Though they might be overwrite is some of our templates. You need to backup and compare this file when upgrade new version. It is not take much time to do it.

Regards
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
I'm a little bit disappointed that implementing my jQuery scripts seems only possible via the Custom Code section of the Template Manager, as opposed to a linked file (I've tried, also using the same Custom Code section). Please correct me if I'm wrong,

I had no problems getting my custom css file to be linked. In fact, all I did was create it. The file was included automatically. Why, then, doesn't the same apply for a custom js file?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Hi Simon @ Quaverlove,

Custom Javascript will not be included automatically.
You have to call addScript in tpls/block/head.php file or use etc/assets.xml file.

Please check for our document http://t3-framework.org/documentation/bs3-customization#embed-style

Regards
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo

Custom Javascript will not be included automatically.

Yeah... I did figure that one out... but thanks.

Please check for our document http://t3-framework.org/documentation/bs3-customization#embed-style

Yep, I followed the instructions and now my custom JavaScript file is linked.

How cool would it be, though, to have a blank custom.js file automatically embedded on template installation... #foodforthought ;)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo

Yep, I followed the instructions and now my custom JavaScript file is linked.

However, even though the file is now embedded (I amended the head.php file), my scripts aren't being picked up. Yet when I try the same scripts in Fire Bug, they work!
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo

However, even though the file is now embedded (I amended the head.php file), my scripts aren't being picked up. Yet when I try the same scripts in Fire Bug, they work!

Ok... panic over... I replaced the '$'s in my code with 'jQuery' and it worked.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 6
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.