We moved to new unified forum!

Please post all new support queries in our New Forum.

T3 Community Discussion & Support

Let's build the best free Joomla template framework, together!
  1. Marc
  2. General Discussion
  3. Sunday, 22 June 2014
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hi there,

I was wondering how come you guys have no tutorials guiding us through the process of making our own unique theme from start to finish. I mean taking our design mock-up (from a psd, illustrator, fireworks or whatever) and transforming it to a fully functional Joomla! t3-framework-based theme, just like you guys are doing every single month for the past couple of years on JoomlArt.com. It's so obvious to me that such tutorials should have been amongst the first kind of tutorials to do since one of the main purpose of the framework is to help us create custom unique themes... Or maybe I'm missing something... I can't comprehend why you never thought of doing a tutorial about one of the main goal that your framework have been created to accomplish, custom unique themes. Just ask one of your developper/designer to install Camtasia on their computer and have him (them) record the whole process, from start to finish, for the template coming up next month or something. You have recorded a tutorial for about everything we can do with the framework (and I thank you for that) except for the main thing that the framework have been created for... Come on guys... I don't mean to be rude but... what kind of rationale is this.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Marc.

I agree that such video is necessary, however it's too complicated and the length of the video could be hours, moreover, designs are always different so it's really hard to do a video tutorial like that.

We have T3 blank and T3 BS3 blank, the 2 based template is the starting point to build up your own template with clear structure and workflow. If you create a new theme by yourselves, it takes you a lot of time.

For the templates developed with T3 Framework, it's based on T3 Blank, T3 BS3 Blank or Purity III template. That's the perfect starting point.

Gardner.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
I understand your point, but It's not necessarily about telling us exactly what to do, like you've said, each template is different and would each require a tutorial of their own, it's more about giving us some general guidelines, some pointers, on which we could build on. I know that Lynda.com have 2 such courses in their online library - Templating with Joomla! 3 and Bootstrap - and - Joomla!: Creating and Editing Custom Templates. They do give us some nice starting points on how we would go about starting creating our own custom theme from scratch but both courses are based on the default Joomla! files and templates and not a specific framework.

I know that you are not a tutorial company but I'm just making the point that the subject it's teachable. By reading your reply, it's like you trying to say that it's almost unteachable, or "untutorialisable". I'm sure that if you base your tutorials on what the guys at Lynda.com have done on their Joomla! Templating tutorials, you could find a high level view to somehow guide us through the process, by going through some key and fundamental concepts without necessarily going into the nitty gritty of it all.

The tutorials could cover only the conceptual side of things, like teaching us how to think throughout the process and drawing some analogies between transforming a psd mockup to normal html markup and transforming a psd mockup to t3-html markup, how to base our mockup on one of the 3 starting point templates in order to correctly integrate it inside the t3-framework, and so on.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Hi Marc,

I am the technical writer also, thanks a lot for sharing us those things. I will check the courses you mentioned to see what we can do. We are working hard to improve documentation system, video tutorials is a main thing in that.

Gardner.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Thanks for considering my request. I'm fully conscious that you guys are doing this all for free and that you probably have a thousand items on your to do list.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Yeah, it's our featured project and it's also our base to develop Joomla template :)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.