We moved to new unified forum!

Please post all new support queries in our New Forum.

T3 Community Discussion & Support

Let's build the best free Joomla template framework, together!
  1. Christine
  2. General Discussion
  3. Tuesday, 05 August 2014
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hey.

I'm trying to edit some css for my website. I want to make some changes like the footer background color (and basically other minor padding/margin changes). As I inspect in firebug and find the code for changing this, I see that the path is …t3_blank.less.style.less.css (attached). I did some changes in css by editing the files that were displayed as source files in firebug. All my changes worked fine. And I was happy with my results. But then.... I compiled... or updated or something. And now all the css changes are gone.

After having read some articles about how to customize css in t3 framework, WITHOUT loosing it after update/compiling, I now see that I have to do it differently. I have made an custom.css file in the right like the articles suggest. But then I'm stuck with how to make the customizing work. Do I have to link this new custom.css stylesheet somehow? Or how does it work to use firebug and make edits on my webpage. I have tried to copy (from …t3_blank.less.style.less.css)

.t3-footer {
background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #222;
color: #666;
}

and place it in my custom.css file with the new color set. But nothing seem to be changing. What am I doing wrong?

Hope someone can help me.

C.
Attachments (1)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Christine,

Let me explain the workflow of the framework.

T3 framework is developed with LESS, then the .less files are compiled to CSS. You site can load LESS or CSS, it's up to development status.

1. When development mode is enabled

Your site will load LESS and you can track the file with firebug i.e t3_blank.less.style.less.css. In this case, you can customize style in the "templates/t3_blank/less/style.less". After customizing, compile LESS to CSS so the changes in the less file will be compile to css.

2. When development mode is disabled

It's recommended status when your site development is done. In this status, your site loads CSS, and when you disable development mode, you can optimize CSS and JS, this will improve your site performance.

Any changes in .css files is not recommended. When you compile LESS to CSS, the css files will be overridden and your customization in the css file is lost.
There is one CSS file that is not overridden when compiling LESS to CSS - custom.css. You add css rules to the file to customize style of template, this file works in both enabled and disabled development mode.

If you don't see the custom.css file in the "css" folder, please create such file.

Gardner.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # Permalink
Votes
Undo
Hi Christine,

You don't have to link the custom.css file. The framework already handles that for you. Any CSS rule declared in your custom.css should work.
Looking at your source is the custom.css file being called?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Hi, thanks for replying.

Yes, in the source I can find
<link type="text/css" href="/templates/t3_blank/css/custom.css" rel="stylesheet">
. Though, I noticed now that the other stylesheets have an other source like:
<link type="text/css" href="/t3-assets/dev/scansaastheme2014…
. My site is still set in development mode. Does that influence on my problem?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Great. Thanks a lot for your effort explaining the workflow to me, Gardner :)

I managed to make it work now it seems. It feels nice to delete one problem on my list. I'm thankful for your help guys. Cheers.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
It's my pleasure :)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 4
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.