We moved to new unified forum!

Please post all new support queries in our New Forum.

T3 Community Discussion & Support

Let's build the best free Joomla template framework, together!
  1. Chamira Athauda
  2. Sherlock Holmes
  3. General Discussion
  4. Monday, 20 October 2014
  5.  Subscribe via email
I have created a separate styles.less and variable.less files in the templates local directory to isolate my template changes.

I am able to create a new THEME and add these variables and save the theme.

However, when I then go back to the theme and try to make further changes I cannot because I am getting several error messages like 'NameError: variable @what-ever is undefined'

The front end works fine in development mode, I can also compile the theme LESS to CSS without any errors.

Is this a known issue?

How do I work around this?

Do I also need to create another variable.less file for local/themes/theme-name?
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Charmira,

The variables.less file should not be moved to local folder. The reason is that the file is not changed from our site when upgrading to new version so you can add more variables, or customize any variable and when you upgrade, the changes will not be lost.

P/S: when override any file, please don't move the file, copy it and paste to the new folder, keep the original file as it is.

Hope it help you :)

Gardner.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # Permalink
Votes
Undo
Hi Chamira,

The local folder should be used to override, if you create new theme, you should do it in the template folder, not in local folder because the local is to prevent losing user customization from upgrade but for new files, folder you created, they are not affected when upgrading.

Gardner.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Thank you for the reply.

I understand what you are saying.

I did not create a new folder for the Theme in the local directory.

I just created two LESS files: one my edits and another global variables. They are placed in [template]/local/less/

But because I have moved my global variables from the [template]/less/variables.less in to this new file [template]/local/less/variables.less, ThemeMagic does not seem to be picking them up, and I am getting those errors. And I can't edit or save that Theme any longer.

If I paste my global variables back in to [template]/less/variables.less file, I don't get the error.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Thanks Gardner,

Sorry, I was not clear in my description.

I never move the files I mentioned.

What I do is create new LESS files in the local directory, with the same name, and just add the edits I need. I do this with styles.less and variables.less.
The original files are left where they are.

I will copy back my global variables to the original variables.less and post back the results.

I placed all my edits to the local files because last time the plugin or framework was updated they all got overwritten.

But, I trust what you say about variables.less being left alone.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Hi Chamira,

Yeah, please share result, if it does not work, please pm me your site url, admin account and FTP account then I will try to figure out if it's T3 issue or not.

Gardner.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Hello Gardner,

Posting back to say you are correct - my changes to variables.less were not overwritten by the latest update of the plugin, 2.3.2 to 2.4.

I now only have one LESS file in my local directory with all other CSS changes and ThemeMagic is working fine.

Thank you for you help and advice.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
Great to see it help you @Chamira ;)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General Discussion
  3. # 6
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.